Giuseppe and I truly disagree about consists of a healthy breakfast, as I explained here. I think that breakfast should be a healthy meal, while he thinks that it should really just be desert at 8am. Lucky for him, Paolo is still a baby (and can’t request cookies for breakfast) and I love to cook. And Giuseppe begins his clinical rotations on Monday morning; I decided I could spoil him a little before he starts. So last night I whipped up these yummy cake brownies for Giuseppe. Again, easy and delicious:
1. Grease a 15x10x1 inch pain with olive oil; set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, heat 3/4 cups butter in the microwave until completely melted. Stir in 1 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder until combined. Add in 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. (I usually substitute vanilla with maple syrup.) Beat combination slightly with a wooden spoon.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Measure 1 cup milk.
4. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to the chocolate combination, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the brownies. Sprinkle powdered sugar until completely covered. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Cut into squares and serve.